Most people don’t plan their careers. They stumble into them. They take the first job that comes along, or the job they are good at, without thinking about the long-term consequences. And then they wonder why they’re not happy in their work, or why they feel like they are stuck in a rut. If this describes you, don’t worry – you’re not alone! In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the common pitfalls people make when building their careers, and how to avoid them.
Be proactive in your career and not reactive to opportunities
One of the biggest mistakes people make is being reactive to opportunities, instead of proactive about their careers. What do we mean by this? Well, let’s say you’re a recent graduate and you’re looking for your first job. You send out a few applications, but you don’t hear anything back. A month goes by, and you’re starting to feel desperate. So, when a job finally comes along, you take it, even though it’s not really what you want to do. You’re just happy to have a job!
But here’s the thing: if you’d been more proactive in your career search, you would have found a job that was actually a good fit for you. Instead, you settled for a job that you are not really happy with, and now you are stuck.
So what can you do to avoid this mistake?
- First, don’t wait until you need a job to start looking for one. Start researching different career options and sending out applications well before you graduate. That way, when a job offer comes along, you can take your time to decide if it’s the right fit for you.
- Second, don’t be afraid to negotiate. If you’re offered a job that’s not quite what you want, see if there’s room for negotiation. Perhaps you can negotiate for a higher salary, or for better working hours. Remember, you’re in a position of power when you’re being offered a job. The employer wants you, so use that to your advantage!
- Third, think long-term. When you’re considering a job offer, don’t just think about the short-term benefits. Consider how the job will impact your career in the long run. Will it give you the skills and experience you need to move up the ladder? Or will it be a dead-end job that won’t lead anywhere?
By being proactive in your career, and thinking about the long-term consequences of your decisions, you can avoid making the common mistake of being reactive to opportunities.
Don’t let your current situation dictate your future.
Ensure your network with people inside and outside the organisation
Another common mistake people make is not networking enough. Build a professional network inside and outside your organisation. When you have a strong network, you’re more likely to hear about job openings that are a good fit for you. You are also more likely to be considered for promotions, and to receive help and advice when you need it.
But networking isn’t just about getting ahead in your career. It’s also about building relationships with people who share your interests and values. When you have a strong network, you can bounce ideas off of people, get feedback and support, and feel like you are part of a community.
So how can you build a strong network?
There are a few things you can do:
- First, attend industry events and meetups. This is a great way to meet people in your field and learning about new opportunities.
- Second, join professional networks. This is a great way to meet people with similar interests and to stay up-to-date on industry news.
- Third, reach out to people you know. If you see someone in your network who is doing something interesting, reach out and connect with them. You never know where a conversation might lead!
By networking inside and outside your organisation, you can avoid the common mistake of being isolated in your career.
Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Many people make the mistake of thinking they have to do everything on their own. But the truth is, nobody gets ahead in their career without help from others.
So, if you’re feeling stuck, or if you’re not sure what to do next, reach out to your network. Ask for advice, and see if there’s anything they can do to help you.
You might be surprised at how willing people are to help. But remember, you won’t get anywhere if you don’t reach out!
Write your achievements in a diary or excel spreadsheet to ensure it’s up to date.
Not keeping track of your achievements. It’s important to keep a record of your achievements so that you can look back and see how far you’ve come. This will also help you when it becomes time to update your resume or apply for a new job.
There are a few things you can do to keep track of your achievements:
- First, write them down in a diary or spreadsheet. This will help you remember what you’ve done, and it will give you a record to look back on.
- Second, share your achievements on social media. This is a great way to get some exposure and to show off your skills. If you have a good network on Linkedin, post on your timeline, and groups you are a part of, this can be a great way to get noticed by potential employers.
- Third, tell your friends and family about your achievements. This is a great way to get some positive feedback, and it will also help you to remember what you’ve done.
By keeping track of your achievements, you can avoid the common mistake of forgetting about them. And when you do forget about them, you’ll be able to look back and see how far you’ve come!
Work with a career coach or someone who can give you a framework/approach for career success
Not having a career coach. A career coach can help you to avoid the common mistakes that people make in their careers. They can give you a framework for success, and they can help you to identify your strengths and weaknesses. With a career coach, you’ll be able to set goals and achieve them.
If you’re not sure where to start, there are a few things you can do:
- First, find someone who can help you. This might be a friend or family member who’s in a similar field, or it might be a professional coach.
- Second, set some goals. What do you want to achieve in your career? What are your long-term goals? Once you have some goals in mind, you can start working towards them.
- Third, take action. Once you have a plan and some goals, it’s time to start taking action. This might mean networking, attending industry events, or reaching out to people you know.
By taking action and working with a coach, the biggest advantage is that you get to follow a fixed approach or framework that has been tried and tested. This will help you to avoid the common mistakes that people make in their careers. And it will help you to achieve your goals!
The purpose of a Framework
A career is not just about earning a good salary. It includes all aspects of life including personal relationships, education, health, and leisure activities. These aspects of life are important to you because you want to enjoy what you do. So, you need to develop yourself in all areas of life. To achieve this, you need to understand what you really want out of life and then plan accordingly. You also need to think about how we can get there.
- A framework is designed to help you understand what kinds of skills you need to succeed in your chosen career.
- It helps you think about the skills you need to develop to reach your goals.
- It also helps you consider whether we’re developing the right skills at the right time.
For example, if you’ve just started your first job, you may not yet be ready to start thinking about balancing work and life. If you’re planning to change jobs later in your career, then you’ll probably want to start thinking about having a good work-life balance.
This is where a good framework from a career coach can help you. A good framework can help you to think about the pros and cons of doing so. It can also help you to consider the impact that changing jobs will have on your career and whether it’s the right time to do so.
The biggest advantage of having a framework is that it helps you to avoid making common mistakes in your career.
Making a career plan is essential for success. By understanding what you want out of life and having a framework to help you achieve it, you can avoid the common mistakes that people make in their careers. A good career coach will provide you with a tried and tested approach that will help you reach your goals. So don’t wait any longer – get started.